Built by Singapore's Tamil Pioneer businessman and philanthropist who believed in investing in Singapore and settling here.

P. Govindasamy Pillai built this Wedding Hall. It was officially opened by Inche Yusuf bin Ishak, the Yang di Pertuan Negara. Govindasamy Pillai paid for the Raja Copuram (Main Gateway) of the Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple adjacent to the Hall and donated the land on which the Ramakrishna Mission stands at Bartley Road.

Govindasamy Pillai came to Singapore in the early 1900s when he was about 17 years old. After being unemployed for sometime he secured a job in a provision shop. Later he started his own business. He built his own house first in Cambpell Lane and later in Race Course Road; he had other landed property as well.

Govindasamy Pillay led a frugal life, saved money and gave generously to charities - temples and schools.

Just before the outbreak of the Pacific War in December 1941 he left for south India leaving his business in the hands of a relative. He returned to Singapore after the Japanese surrender.

He was a founder member of the Indian Chamber of Commerce and the Ramakrishna Mission; he built the Temple and the library. He donated a room to the Mount Alvernia Hospital and contributed to the University of Malaya Fund.

When he died in 1980 at the age of 93 an Indian community leader commented:' The Indian community will mourn the loss of a grand patriarch of old whose like Singapore will not see again.' Govindasamy Pillai's guiding principle was to share what he had with the poor and under-privileged. He strongly advocated the principle that Indians should invest in Singapore and settle here.