Building In Sarawak

By:

Sarawak Guide – Sarawak Historic Buildings

  

o        The Astana

Built in 1870, The Astana, a variant of the usual spelling palace, was a bridal gift to Margaret, Charles Brooke’s bride. It was originally a three colonial- style bungalows, with wooden, shingle roofs. The largest being the central bungalow with the reception room, dining and drawing rooms. Today, it is the official residence of the governor of Sarawak and is only open to public on public holidays such as, Hari Raya Puasa.

 

o        Fort Margherita

Not far away from the Astana, is this fort, now the Police Museum. Also built by Rajah Charles Brooke in 1879, this fort was to guard Kuching’s river approaches from pirates. Interestingly the fort was not damaged during the Second World War. As the Fort is situated within the police training barracks, visitors may be asked to produce a passport or ID to enter.  

 

Opening hours: 10.00am to 6.00pm Tuesday - Sunday

Admission is Free.

 

o        The Square Tower

Built as an annex to Fort Margherita in 1879, the Square Tower’s architecture harks back to the Victorian era’s fascination with native culture.

The square tower marks one end of Kuching’s waterfront esplanade which runs alongside the river for almost 900m. Today it is a multimedia information centre and video theatre, providing information and documentaries on
Sarawak’s tourist attractions.

 

o        The Sarawak Steamship Building

The Steamship building, on 52 Main Bazaar, was built in 1930 and was previously the offices and warehouse of the Sarawak Steamship Company. The building is restored and is home to the Kuching Waterfront Bazaar, including a restaurant, souvenir stalls, exhibition area and a handicrafts gallery.

 

o        The Court House Complex

The Court House Complex, which now houses the Sarawak’s Tourism Board Visitor’s Centre, was built in 1871 as the seat of Sarawak’s government and was used as such until 1973. The complex remains as one of Kuching’s impressive architecture. The colonial-baroque Clock Tower was added in 1883 and the Charles Brooke Memorial in 1924. The complex also includes The Pavilion Building - as the General Hospital and now transformed into Sarawak’s Textile Museum - and The Round Tower, originally planned as a fort (1886), then used as a dispensary, and nowadays the headquarters of the Sarawak Craft Council. Following restoration of the original buildings and redevelopment, this important heritage site reopened in 2003.

 

o        The General Post Office

Built in 1931, it appears to belong to the early 19th century with its neo-classical style and Corinthian columns. This is one of the buildings built by Vyner Brooke, the last Rajah. It has been renovated and there have been now it is the home of the Sarawak Art Museum.

 

o        The Grand Old Lady

The "Grand Old Lady," a nickname given to the first well formed in 1910. Situated in the northern part of Sarawak, the official "Well Number 1" is on Canada Hill and promises a good view of the city. Oil production has, today, moved offshores and the sea surrounding Miri is, again, a divers' paradise.

 

Asia Destinations
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 

» More on Asia Destinations